(Used to be) Living in Luleåland

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Lingonstigen Equinox

It finally happened - on the 28th of December 2005 the temperature inside and outside my apartment were equal but opposite.


I said I would have a party at my place to celebrate this milestone, but I was headed out of town for the day and most people I know in Lulea were elsewhere for Christmas, so I'll have to wait for the next one.

The minimum temperature that day was –27oC, which is damn cold. Think about it:most kitchen freezers are about -15 to -20, so this is colder than the giblets of a frozen chook. It hits you quickly, especially on bits of the face that are exposed; the feeling of liquids inside the nose and nosehairs freezing, takes a little while to get used to. This level of cold, even when you are prepared, doesn't encourage you to stay outside so any "where do you want to go for lunch discussions" usually happen in the entryway of large stores, giving you a chance to thaw out.

And I believe, if there were mokeys in Sweden, they would be running around with welding kits.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home