(Used to be) Living in Luleåland

Monday, October 30, 2006

A Couple of Tunes

Sweden has the dual honour of being the biggest producer of music outside the UK and US, and also the biggest consumer, though somewhat dubiously it is also one of the biggest 'quasi-legal downloaders'. Although I complained earlier about my inability to find good Swedish music, I am pleased to say that the situation has improved. There's still no really good indie station up here but at least swedish radio's P3 (http://sr.se/P3/) has some good progams, featuring new stuff that isn't so mainstream.

Another great source has been the blog http://swedesplease.blogspot.com/ (thanks Ryan). It covers a wide range of indie music, with a definite love of twee and electronic robot music, but also some funky stuff. Check it out.

The commercial stations are dominated as back home by the mainstream top 40 stuff, like endless repeats of James Blunt, Justin Timberlake, Shakira etc. Now
I must admit to being a bit of a sucker for a good pop song, or even an ordinary pop song, so you might think some of the stuff I am posting might make your eyes roll... but when you compare it to the bad stuff you'll realise where the baseline is on my scale. There will also be some funky, jazzy stuff here, as well some catchy twee and various other bits and pieces. Most of it is in English. And rest assured that Eurovision style schlager will be given the appropriate scorn and irony. Well, most of the time.

This is my favourite catchy tune from the summer.
The Sounds - Toni the beat






Shout Out Louds - The Comeback

I heard about these guys while streaming JJJ when I first arrived... the best song on the album I think is '100 degrees', but the live versions on youtube aren't great quality. So instead you can have "the comeback":


I'm From Barcelona - We're From Barcelona
A band getting big press in the blogs and lotsa youtube action is I'm from Barcelona. The oddly named band has 20-30 members, big moustache action, and simple, catchy, na-na-na-na songs. Love it. A surprisingly catchy, great singalong album. My favourite clip:


My favourite song: Treehouse (live)


Another na-na-na song, this time girly pop
Veronica Maggio - Dumpa Mig (Dump me)


There has also been plenty of skit on the radio, and with only 5 stations available (and only 1 worth listening to), there is a lot of repetition, so some of the bad stuff just gets stuck in your head. The worst example is here for you first. As you will realise if you listen to some of the stuff that is to come, I don't mind a bit of robot electronica. This song Boten Anna, unbearably catchy to my ear with dispassionate robot-like singing and easy repetetive lyrics. But it is shite, and was one of the summer's biggest hits. If you read the lyrics you'll see the song is a bout a webbot called Anna that can 'ban you, ban you hard". Enjoy, if you dare.



Basshunter - Boten Anna

Basshunter - Dota, for those who want more
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0OzWIFX8M-Y


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home