(Used to be) Living in Luleåland

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Bangkok


So, with the flood of Scandinavians going to Thailand trying to get some real summer, planes were full and my plans for a quick stopover became 4 days in Bangkok.

The city was crowded, hot, and hectic. A big change from up north, and initially I realised just how much I missed lively street culture. But the fun wore off very quickly. I went to the largest weekend market in the world, and had barely enough room to pull my wallet out of my pants (and none to pull my camera out of my bag) I was very quickly was over the whole "masses of people" thing. Plenty of bargains to be had, and much haggling to be done, but the crowds were horrendous.

Haggling also became tedious very quickly. Almost any taxi fare enquiry started at 200 to 400 baht (6-12$) , before bargaining down to about 80-100 baht to get home from the areas I mostly visited. The only honest taxi driver in Bangkok made me discover 70 was probably too much. Actually he was only honest because had had absolutely no English ability whatsoever except for the word 'meter', so he couldn't try to convince me that it was very far, and there was lots of traffic, or that the market I wanted to go to was closed so he could take me shopping elsewhere, or he had a sister that I could 'meet', or...

But I also managed to check out some of the main sights - the Reclining Bhudda, the Grand Palace, the Golden Tower, Jim Morrison's house, and some more markets and shopping.

Pics, as usual now on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=13091&l=690e0&id=731953277



3 Comments:

  • Mark

    Many photos in this post are very familiar. I think some of our four day stay in Bangkok mirrored yours. We did the Palace, temple quarter, the markets, the riverboat cruise, the reclining Buddha, the light rail rides and of course we had our yellow Monday surprise as well.

    The Chatuchak weekend market became old for me the moment I alighted from the the Light Rail. Surveying the expanses of the market from high is quite an impressive feeling until you realise, holy moses, I will be entering the belly of that beast!!!

    I can see why it might have been difficult to photograph the emerald Buddha. Its difficult to overcome one's law abiding side when the signs say, no photography allowed!! At least you managed to take off your shoes, did you?

    I always thought the Buddha was Japanese as well!

    By Blogger G, at 9:24 AM  

  • Yes Geordie, all I had was the tourist info map that I got at the airport, so started doing all the official touristy things.

    Chatuchak was annoyingly frustrating to get around, way too big. I saw 5 baht choptstics at several stores and thought "I should get some later", but there was no later. Never found them again. Only 10 baht ones!

    Yes, shoes were off, and I had enough forewarning to wear long pants - damn hot, mind you.

    And that bhudda... well, he got around!

    By Blogger Mark Terner, at 4:13 PM  

  • Thank you so much for sharing your story. It's very informative. I love to read it and do hope to read your next story.

    By Anonymous Bangkok Hotels Thailand, at 11:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home