(Used to be) Living in Luleåland

Friday, February 03, 2006

Things Swedes Don't Know


This is a book I bought, and one day hope to be able to read fully, titled Who is Björn, and Who is Benny. Yes, even the Swedes don't know which ABBA person is which.

Why did I buy the book? Not because I really wanted to know. But the language is less flowery than usual fiction, and has more simple explanations. The chapters are also short, less than 10 pages each, so I can read a bit and once I've worked it all out feel like I've accompliswhed something. And I want to know the answers to the "other interesting mysteries", like why don't men go to the toilet together, why do people kick the tyres of a car when checking one out, and when will Jesus come back. I'll let you know what the answer is to that one.

So which is Björn, and which is Benny? Björn means Bear in Swedish, and unfortunately, it is Benny who is chubby and has the beard and is most bearlike. When he was younger, he was beard-free. C'mon, you all know it, just admit it. OK it's the guy on the left.

Apparently ABBA considered every other possible arrangement of letters, from their surnames to middle names, thought about changing their names, and took years to come up with the one that is now so well known. Actually their surnames made the word FULA, which means 'ugly'...

Lots more ABBA trivia to come... no. Not really. I promise.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home