(Used to be) Living in Luleåland

Thursday, April 13, 2006

The Easter Bunny Dropped One


This has to be the strangest Easter egg I've seen - sunny side up! This comes from the Godis rack - the loose lollys like you get at the movies, which are a stock standard item here and considered to be particularly Swedish. There are whole shops devoted to the select-with-a-scoop-and-pay-by-weight idea. In fact the Godishuset (Godis House) near me has the longest opening hours of any shop within walking distance! [And for those of you wondering at this time of year weather godis and God have any connection, no, in Swedish God is actually 'Gud'].

I don't actually know what Swedish Easter traditions are. I've been back from the US for just less than a week and been pretty busy. Apparently a lot of people head outdoors, especially to the mountains, as the weather is nicer, like a kind of quasi spring. Ice fishing is on the cards for at least one of my mates, and like most fishing trips seems to be more about being outdoors with alcohol than the fish. I will actually be back in yankee territory - we have 4 days of rehearsals for the Uni musical/review (Spex), and the theme is Buffalo Bill. Rhymes and puns in Swedish - I am assured it is quite funny.

The warm weather (lots of days hovering between 0 and +5) means that the roads are slushy with all the melting snow. And dirty, muddy, and full of gravel, but still a little icy. The pure white snowy landscape has taken a turn for the worst - a pic is below. I've pulled the bike out of the storeroom (the Marvil), fixed the puncture (hopefully), added some brakes, and tried to get 7 of the gears back, but to no avail yet. It's still a bit dangerous though to ride on though - the paths around my place aren't cleared are naturally bumpy but also covered in ice which is still slippery. And a fall isn't fun because of all the gravel. But there are occasional snowfalls, which still look great to me, but add to the slush, so I'm not sure how much I should cheer them on.

The other really strange thing has been sitting in my apartment and having dinner - with sunlight pouring through the window! Clocks went backward while I was away, and with the lengthening days it is now light till almost 8pm! Soon I'll be praying for the darkness to return when I want to get some sleep...

Happy Easter to you All (Trevligt Påsk)!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home