(Used to be) Living in Luleåland

Sunday, January 21, 2007

En Vardag in Venedig - Italy 2

Venice is one of those places you see images of and never quite forget, which for me included plenty of pics that my grandparents took on holiday. So it was amazing to actually be there, and see it all in person.



Scalzi church, near the train station


I haven't seen the new 007 film yet, but I was told the crew did a great job of making the canal water transparent for the film, before returning it to the shade of green that the locals were used to and found so reassuring. According to my Dad it was even worse in the 60's, when locals used the canals as their garbage bin.



Venezia was a great city to walk around in: lots of little laneways and bridges and alcoves and shops. Lots of glass too - some quite different to the Swedish stuff.
I still hadn't changed my feet-killing shoes, but we only walked around for about 5 hours and I couldn't concentrate past the throbbing, intense pain in my shoulder. Though it didn't help that Marco was not always on top of the ball as a guide! This corner was particularly confusing...


Ponte di Rialto


Shops on the Ponte. What is it about bridges and gold shops?

Canal Grande




Piazza San Marco. Would have been good to get a shot with the two Marc/ko-s in it for completeness. Not that either of us are particularly saint-like.





Torre dell'Orologio



It wasn't too hard to get off the tourist track in Venice - there are lots of little paths to take. It was great to take a break, have a coffee and watch the locals go past - old well-dressed men chaps with canes, students with satchels, giggling girls, and other forms of alliteration.






A welcoming backpackers...


Something slightly more upmarket

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home