(Used to be) Living in Luleåland

Saturday, February 02, 2008

Quick Update & Last Melbourne Pics




Hello old chaps!

I've been in the UK now for 4 weeks and haven't been too good keeping up the blogging. Sorry about that. As you could imagine there is a lot to do when arriving in a new country and starting a new job so blogging hasn't been top priority. I have started taking pics and thinking about what to write about where I am and what I am doing, so it won't be long now. And stay tuned for the announcement of my new blog name!


In the meantime, a brief update: I live in a share house with 6 others, and it's not too bad. The town is in many ways very much like Luleå, a small univesity town a bit dead without the university students. But not as isolated and the town center has more bustle to it, and heaps more pubs! I have bought a car, which will hopefully not be an interesting story - I bought it on ebay, unseen and untested, so we'll see!
Work is good; the team I work with is great with everyone fairly young and mostly from overseas; though the pace and pressure is a lot higher than what I'm used to at university. Believe it or not I have been at work every day by 8:30, often 8:15, a time when for the last 9 years I would be hitting the snooze button on my alarm clock. Last week I managed to 'fix' a machine that became my responsibility, only to use it to determine that I a guess I was asked/forced to make had put approximately $100,000 worth of product at risk of catastrophic failure... the timing of having a team "pub meeting" on Thur night clouldn't have been better.

And surprisingly enough, I've already had an international grocery queuing incident!

But anyway, more of that for a different space. Just thought I would post my last pics from Melbourne, taken in a very rare bike ride into the city along the Yarra. I never lived close enough or was keen enough to do it from E.Burwood, but from Hawthorn it wasn't too bad. My helmet fashion was stuck in the '80's - remember Stackhats? And after the lonely roads of Luleå riding on main roads full of cars was a little worrying. But it was enjoyable enough to finally see what the trail was like.


Pics again via Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=30372&l=e6808&id=731953277

Stay tuned for Living in Loughborough news next time! Cheerio

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home