(Used to be) Living in Luleåland

Thursday, January 25, 2007

More ramblings in Rome - Italy 4

I forgot to account for the backwards reading order on the blog again, so this is part 2 of my 3 days in Rome...

The Trevi Fountain, famous for many things, but especially Swedish blonde bombshell Anita Ekberg's dip in the film La Dolce Vita, which I've been watching while blogging for inspiration. The beauty of both fountain and femme make it understandably an unforgettable scene from movie history.





The gang, at the spot from where you get a great view of the fountain...
Seeing as I posted both Rome sections at the same time this might be the first time you meet the gang. From left to right: Unknown person on mobile phone, Deb and Ed (Chris's mate from NZ), Allisa and Chris (Munster - yep like in the tv show), my cousin from Sydney, and his closer cousin Peter also originally from Sydney but now just a stone's throw away in Copenhagen. If I have it correct Chris and Peter's grandmother and my great-grandmother were sisters.




Raddichio, whatever that is

St. Peter's Basilica, the Vatican



il Papa makes his appearances and gives blessings from the window up there

St. Peters is wither the largest or 2nd largest Christian church in the world (a new one on the Ivory Coast may be bigger). It can hold 60,000 people and covers 5.7 acres (~23,000m2).




It is hard to get good pics in the dimly lit Basilica. Let's just say it was huuuge and mightily impressive.

I tried though

St. Peter's foot gets a bit of a polish from people making various wishes. Or prayers, I guess.

No, there was no salumeria in the Basilica (is there a supplier of the holy ham, or the the papal prosciutto?) . I just thought I'd give you a break from all the churchy stuff.

The ceiling was too far away for decent pics, so here's a decent shot of a grate in the floor

Still trying - the cover over the tomb of St. Peter

Camera on the floor

Even to the workers the place is a marvel. And yes, those are confessional boxes lining the walls. I was sorely tempted...I mean surely God would cure my shoulder so I could carry the other burdens of original sin if I confessed...

Alissa

A Gothic church.

The hunch-gut of Notre Dame!

Colourful gelati

The ceiling on the way to the Sistine Chapel. Walls, ceilings, cornices, everything was just totally covered in art. Almost like the gelati...

Details

No pics were allowed to be taken in the Sistine chapel, even without flash. I guess the lack of pics makes you buy the book/poster/fridge magnet. Which is a big shame because it was amazing. There was something about standing under the fresco of God creating Adam, you know the one with the fingers almost touching, where by having to crane your neck and look up you really get the whole "God is up there" effect. Not that I had any revelations, and again I left with a very sore shoulder.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home