(Used to be) Living in Luleåland

Sunday, April 01, 2007

Schlager "Musik"

Yeah, I know it is old news now in Sweden, but I have some catching up to do: in addition to our band concerts, the other major music event in Sweden was the Melodifestival, a music competition over about 2 months where Sweden's representative to the Eurovision Song Contest is chosen.

Again I found myself on the wrong side of the cultural Göta canal: I just haven't been able to get a gripa on just how much (or not) it is loved in Sweden. How much sarcasm should I use when discussing its "merits"?

Otherwise known as the Schlagerfest (schlager is the name for this specific type of Europop), which occupies a special place in the hearts of Swedes. Last year, people who did not seem at all interested in the competition (when I asked about it) came to my house to watch a DVD, but in fact we had to delay it because Swedish final was on telly at the same time. Not only did we have to watch it, we had to judge and give points to each of the 10 acts on both song and presentation. These same people were too cool to admit going to watch the Eurovision final a few weeks later, but in fact they not only watched it but these cool-cats actually voted in the final to help Finnish monster rockers win.

So a couple of weeks ago I bumped into some of the guys from the Kent Albinz Jazzorkerter in town and we had a coffee, I asked them what their plans were for the evening. All were going to go home and watch the heats of the Melodifestival. "What" (nicely shortened to "Va?" in Swedish). I was confused. I always used irony and sarcasm when talking about the quality of the schlagerfest so of course asked "no, really, what are you going to do tonight?". But they were serious. These are people whose musical tastes I generally admire, and people who openly and with great vehemance go on and on about how much they hate Carola (schlager princess who represented Sweden last year and who releases an annual album, including christmas albums etc.). But then when it actually comes to tv, they all stay home and watch with fascination. Yes, sometimes they watch just to hear how bad it can be, but still, 8pm on a Sat night is a precious time. Nothing else good is scheduled for TV, no other plans are made.

I was at home that night, turned on the TV, and halfway through the first song couldn't bear so channel surfed until I found a Metallica documentary on MTV. Much better.

But I did go to a mates place to watch the final. How could I not? At the ICA (7-eleven equivalent) there was a long queue of people with (light) beer and chips with 10 mins to go till start time, and then it emptied out. The TV audience was almost 1/3 of the entire population of Sweden. And the winner - well you can judge for yourself (video below). I am absolutely positive the first few lines come from a McDonalds or KFC ad from Aus from a while ago. If anyone can tell me, I'd really appreciate it.


I may have some probs embedding the video, so here is the link to it on youtube in case it isnt there below:
The Ark - The Worrying Kind http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oKXIAqwujo




And if you want a reminder of the very-un-schlager song that won it for Finland (for the first time ever) last year, here it is: But just because it's not schlager, doesnt mean it's good!
Lordi - Hard Rock Halelujah http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgENuff5VAA




There is actually a cool thing I like in the music video for the song - the chorus of cheelearders screaming the background harmonies when Lordi enters! (Hmmm, zombie cheerleaders...)
Lordi - Music Viceo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POO33XjtAws



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home